Samstag, 12. Dezember 2009

Roasted Swedes/turnips

I love English food - very often you get roasted turnips, or Swedes, there, quite often as veg accompanying a Sunday roast. In Germany Swedes, Steckrüben, are not that well known usually, or at least they usually come along as 'Steckrübenmus' and that's pretty much it. I guess many of my German friends have never cooked Swedes themselves.

To roast Swedes you treat them exactly the same way you would treat potatoes, cut them into sticks about 1cm x 4cm. Put them in a bowl adding oil and spices, mix it, that's all it takes.

For half a Swede I used 2 teaspoons of olive oil. I had a mixture consisting of rosemary and sea salt (plus some onions, sugar, black pepper, garlic and lemon) which smelled lovely once the Swedes were roasting in the oven.

So if you want to abstain from eating to many carbs in the evening this could be a good solution to have the roasted Swedes instead, probably accompanied by a steak and some sprouts.

Unfortunately I haven't got a photo, but next time I'll take one!

Enjoy!

Keine Kommentare: